Every day we are monitoring the COVID 19 situation and adapting our business to provide the best care we can for our residents and our staff.
COVID 19 Prevention Measures
Aboriginal Hostels Limited considers the health and safety of our residents and staff to be our number one priority.
Every day we are monitoring the COVID 19 situation and adapting our business to provide the best care we can for our residents and our staff. Some of the measures we have put in place are:
- New residents restricted to medical residents only
- New residents requiring self-isolation not accepted
- No visitors allowed to hostels (signage displayed and residents informed)
- Residents dining and socialising in accordance with two person/one family rule
- Playgrounds closed
- Residents only leaving hostel for essential requirements.
- Only essential maintenance/repairs undertaken at hostels (to reduce visitors)
- Staff provided with Infection Control Training COVID19 training resources
- Social distancing measures applied in dining rooms – including split meal times where required
- Bed availability reduced to ensure all rooms allow social distancing requirements to be met
- Group activities cancelled
- Additional cleaning procedures in place
- Reinforcement of good hygiene practices, food safety and social distancing measures including posters displayed in all hostels
- Bulk ordering of hand sanitiser and cleaning equipment is ongoing
- Bulk ordering of food supplies and flexible arrangements for catering if kitchen staff are not available
- All business travel stopped
- Isolation rooms prepared at each hostel in case of outbreak or suspected outbreak
- Strategies in place to manage small and large numbers of outbreak
- Local Aboriginal Health Services and Public Health Units engaged
- Protocols for Initial Public Health Unit Notification developed
- Planning flu vaccinations in April for staff and residents
- National bulk recruitment round initiated to recruit more staff to support our residents
- Communications with staff, residents, parents and students including reinforcement of good hygiene practices
- IT Support and student entertainment enhanced at secondary education hostels to support students learning from hostel and recognising out of school activities have been cancelled
- Students supported home where requested by parents
- Working from home arrangements available for National Office staff
AHL will continue to provide the highest level of care to our residents during this challenging time.